Friday, March 24, 2017

A Quick Evaluation of Why Grease Was So Popular in the Media

Back in my Rockabeau introduction, I mentioned how I originally tried to reflect John Travolta’s hairstyle when I was young. It was a failed attempt but he was my first glimpse at a Greaser. Ironic because even though I loved his style, I didn’t like the film and couldn’t understand why the media loves both the film and the musical so much. This time around, I’m going to find out why.
The film is based on the 1971 musical of the same name. Touring of the production began in 1971 until 1973. It spanned from Chicago, Broadway, and London. With it’s success, it was able to generate enough buzz for Paramount to create a theatrical release later in 1978.
The film is set in 1958. It follows the love life of Danny Zuko (John Travolta) and Sandy Olsen (Olivia Newton-John) against their clashing cliques. Musicals alone gain a following, but the film was so popular at the time of its release that it outsold the Sound of Music film adaption. It was labeled a fan favorite and a success. I can guess that is brought a sense of nostalgia to the older generation at the time. This means it spoke to the older generation that lived the life of greasers in the 1950’s, in contrast to the younger audience of the 1970’s who were enamored by the chemistry of film leads, John Travolta and Olivia Newton John. With this recipe, we can blend a movie experience that speaks to a wider range audience.
I can respect a story that speaks to numerous people, I suppose that greasers were just an elemental part to contrast the characters. That and, their outsider attitudes contributed the sort of rebel character trait of Danny’s gang.
Fun Fact – Harry Winkler who plays Fonzie on Happy Days was considered for the lead role of Danny.

And away we go, Rockabeau! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment