Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Rockabeau? Who is Rockabeau?

Hello, I, am Rockabeau


Before I detail the tantalizing future of my blog, I want to give you a bit of insight as to who I am.
I was born on a farm, smack dab in the middle of two towns, each two miles outside of my home. On the lot where old cars I would play in and climb on. In one of the barns was a tractor shed; there was an old motorbike that I would sit and daydream of riding on the highway with my hair tasseled to the wind. I would always slick my hair up and play with toy cars. But one day I found a VHS copy of Grease. My mom told me it was a musical, so I suddenly lost interest. But I couldn’t stop staring at Jon Travolta on the cover. Through copious amounts of hair gel, I would try to emulate his hair cut. His pout wasn’t bad either, if you know what I mean.


As I got older I left my toys for my idols. My 8th grade teacher assigned the class to read the novel that changed my life, The Outsiders. There was finally a book that could keep my attention. The film left quite the impression on myself, as well. After waking myself from day dreams of Matt Dillon, I started to craft my own personal style. I looked up music to correspond with newfound strut, snatched hair gel from my sister’s vacation tote bag and nicked one of my mom’s combs. I owned the streets every time I would walk down the block.

Back in the day *laughs* which were 6 years ago, I didn’t understand why I became so attracted to this lifestyle, but reflecting upon it now, it makes more sense to me. I was coming to terms with my eccentric family and my sexuality. I was born in a conservative town and I had to keep my exuberant personality stifled. Observing documentaries, videos, and media about greaser subculture was so pleasing to me. Identified with the outcast, a stylish one at least, brought me a sense of serenity and acceptance. The overall aesthetic of a classic greaser was both cool, but tough looking, two qualities I wanted to be respected for. Bullying had ravaged me in my youth, and I wanted to bite back so desperately, so I wanted to emulate a group of people that would fight tooth and nail for their own.

Now in my college years, my aesthetic is down to a science and friends in abundance. But I want to bring a legitimacy to my part in the greaser subculture. There is more than the glamour of black leather jacket. I want to learn the more in-depth details of this subculture. I want to learn with you and modernize greaser subculture. I want to revolutionize what we listen to, what we wear, what we drive and who we are about, while taking notes from the past.

Please join me on my journey, or should I say, our journey, as I try to modernize greaser subculture through fashion, music, and cars. I want to expand upon a community of outcasts and discover how we can fit the mold of the current day and age. But then again, are we still outcasts? Denim certainly isn’t out of style and to be an outcast is more so popular than ever now. 

follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/rockabeau

And a way we go, Rockabeau ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment